CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, June 13, 2011

Ocean Unit pt.2

So, I am back with the second part of the Unit. I hope you all enjoyed part one!
What would this unit be without a sensory bin? I still have procrastinated on buying more of a box looking bin so I have been using a big mixing bowl. I bought some home decor sand from Walmart, some sea shells and threw in some sand toys and some ocean animals. So simple, but SO FUN! Colton played with this numerous times in the week and i was able to make dinner without stumbling on little trains and cars! Woo hoo!
I love his little hands discovering.
I love the Dollar Tree. My little family makes a stop every few weeks. The one near our house is AWESOME! Big, clean, and organized is how I love it! Well on our last trip there I was searching for some things for the Ocean Unit. I found a cute ceramic dolphin. The bathrooms in our house are both in a beachy type of theme and feel. I thought it would look adorable sitting in Colton's bathroom. He had so much fun painting and concentrated so hard. I also gave him some sea shells to paint as well and he thoroughly enjoyed it. 

 Another fun craft we worked on this week was an octopus! I don't know what it is about the animal that Colton enjoys so much but he really does. I found an awesome craft but for the life of me I can't find what site I found it on. Take a toilet paper tube and set it off to the side, choose a piece of construction paper. Colton chose a light blue. I measured the tube on the paper and then drew eight lines for the tentacles. I taped it around the tube and cut the lines. I then took a pencil and rolled each one of the sectioned lines around the pencil. In our craft closet there are a few jars of fun foam shapes and Colton chose one for each tentacle. Hobby Lobby many moons ago when we were there had neon googly eyes and Colton chose two and glued them on. I then gave the octopus a smiley face.
 There was a day this week I decided to move the sensory bin to the side and create some sink fun. I filled one side up with some water and in the other sink I made sure to clog it so in case he decided to get a little crazy nothing would go bye bye down the drain. I put some things from his bin and let him go to town. I got to sit and rest for a bit and get a few things done around the house.
Do you see that HUGE sting ray in the sink? That was once little! I bought two of them from Walmart for $1 each and I must say they were so worth it!
before
after
At All Kids Network I found a fun craft for the summer. Ice cream! I printed off the templates, let Colton color them up and then glued them to a piece of construction paper. I also thought, how about some sprinkles? I took some purple glitter and gave some to Colton to decorate his ice cream and of course a red pom pom to the top for a cherry affect!
That finishes the Ocean Unit! I hope you take the time and do a few of these crafts or ideas with your kids. Colton enjoyed it quite a bit. Our next unit is no where near as big but will be fun....I hope!

2 comments:

Megan

I LOVE your ocean sensory bin!!!

**Ashley P**

Thank you! SO EASY!!

Post a Comment

Leave some love!